Saturday dawned and the weather wasn't great to start with, but was forecast to get much better in a few hours. Went for an 8 or so mile run and then headed up to the airport for 12pm. Having previously been given the destination of Leyburn which is not too far from Catterick and north-west of Ripon I'd had the option of going out via Keighley (west) and then routing north, or via Harrogate (north-east) and then routing north-west planned. Both were identical in terms of distance, and all things being equal I would have preferred the Keighley route since there are better features to navigate by on that route. Alas the cloudbase conspired to make it necessary to route via Harrogate.
Navigation proceeded well and I was able to fund my pitiful halfway feature of a small lake and I was on track & on time and duely arrived at Leyburn on schedule. However, this is where the fun started and things went a bit pear shaped! :-( I was given a diversion destination of Kirkby Moorside (town, not airfield) which would take me straight over the top of Leeming's overhead. Called them up and found that they were active (unusual for a weekend) and so I was not able to go straight overhead and had to route to maintain 3nm clear to the north. I also fluffed my RT a bit which probably didn't help. I routed north-east up towards the disused Catterick airfield which I never actually spotted, but did spot the nearby lakes so knew I was outside their airspace. When they cleared me for a MATZ penetration direct to Northallerton (after liaising with Teeside for me), everything should have been easy from then on.
The problem was that there are next to bugger all features suitable for navigation once you've crossed the A1 just east of Northallerton. I did a 30 degrees heading for
I was then given another diversion destination of Haxby, just the the north-east of York. This went, on the whole much better with the nav going on track. However, on looking back at my plog just now and trying to figure out why my ETA was way ahead of my ATA (which fortunately wasn't spotted by the instructor), I realised that I mis-measured my distance and read off 26nm when it should have been 16. This made for an 8 minute difference, but had I calculated with the correct distance, the I would have arrived bang on ETA.
We then routed back to Wetherby for rejoin via Eccup and landed with no drama. In the debrief, Roger was reasonably happy with things overall (gave me 6.5-7 out of 10) and mentioned the various mistakes/issues (listed above) that I'd encountered with recommendations around them like being more ready for having to alter track for not being given a MATZ (or other equivalent) clearance. He also suggested that we try a more dead reckoning way of drawing out diversion track line on the chard freehand (to save faffing with rulers), eyeballing the heading and measuring the distance with a finger (eg. the second joint of my little finder is 7nm). We'll try this with him on our nav route tomorrow.

No comments:
Post a Comment