On Sat 23rd I really didn't feel like going flying; some days you just wake up like that. But I forced myself to go since It was a great day and I'd promised my sister & brother-in-law I would try to come down to Peterborough when the weather was good.
Quickly planned the route, cheating slightly and reusing all the headings, distances and MSAs from my previous trip down there when I injured my back (maybe even cracked a rib) doing a simulated skydive at bodyflight. Other than that did some quite accurate VOR tracking both inbound and outbound from GAM nothing really worth mentioning about the flight down. Approach to Conington was good but I bounced it once on landing and it wasn't even a crosswind :-( Got a friendly "telling off" by the admin guy there about flaring it more - not like I didn't know I ballsed it up...
Consequently I was a bit apprehensive about taking Jo and Pierre for a jolly round the local area; this landing inconsistency is pissing me off. Anyway, set off and did a nice trip round Peterborough, up to Rutland Water and back down past Spanhoe to Conington and showed them the many of the same sights as I showed my parents previously. Joined downwind for runway 28, did a decent approach and then absolutely greased the landing down short field style! :-) Inconsistency rules yet again... *sigh* I hadn't actually meant to land like that where you descend quite rapidly and do a quite abrupt flare and touch down just as the flare zeros your rate of descent; I meant to to the traditional flare and float it along and touch it down near the stall. Still, a good landing is a good landing and my confidence was back.
For the trip back again pretty good VOR tracking and a bit of practice in position fixes. Landing this time on 14 with a right crosswind instead of the usual 32 with wind from the left. Got it down quite nicely with a timely decrab and dip of the into wind aileron. I'm probably improving overall but progress is slow and I need more practice. Thought's just occurred to me - Why don't I head over to somewhere like Elvington (where the landings are cheap or even free) one day when it's a crosswind there and practice.
Now just need 2:10 P1 to be able to start the ME rating.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment