Thursday, 9 October 2008

Circuits? No, surprise nav

Wednesday dawned with practically not a cloud in the sky - woohoo!!

I had been expecting to be doing circuits, but the instructor said it was too nice a day not to do a nav, and that we could tag a couple of circuits into the end of the trip. So we planned a flight to Pickering.

Can't remember much of the detail, but I pretty much aced the first leg :-) Got my climb to 4000 feet approved while still in Leeds airspace and subsequently the MATZ crossing of Linton approved nice and early. The vis was great so my GEC of Wetherby was easy to spot. Marston Moor and Linton came up on track and on time, but was batting along so much quicker than my last nav that I realised it was pointless looking out for East Moor as I'd probably already passed it. So I concentrated on flying my heading and altitude as there wasn't much else to look out for enroute. Because things were happening quicker than previous experience I didn't properly note when I passed my halfway point so I had to guestimate (which is not approved CPL technique) and I thought I was a minute ahead of schedule so revised my ETA to two minutes earlier. Spotted Pickering relatively easily and quite well in advance and was given a diversion of Breighton. I arrived three minutes later than my revised ETA and only one minute later than my original ETA, so if I'd not botched it up it would have been a near perfect leg :-(

Turned over Pickering and set off for Breighton and completed all my planning and ETAs. Noted that I was left of track when approaching Malton after only about 6-7nm and realised that this was due to my not having applied a wind correction to my heading. The instructor also pointed out that I had turned a bit late over Pickering and so had rolled out left of planned track so there was also some parallel track error. My GEC should have picked out that I was to the left of Malton when I should have been to the right, but for some reason it didn't register. But a heading correction of 25 degrees for 2 mins (the twin only heeds 25 degrees rather than 30 for the single) put me back on track and I remembered to note it down on my plog! :-) The rest of the diversion when fine and I arrived at Breighton only a minute ahead of schedule.

Back to Leeds and did a touch and go, followed by and engine failure into an asymmetric circuit , then a low approach and go around finished off by a full stop landing. I can't properly remember how it went, but I think I struggled to maintain runway heading on engine failure and also go around, but it wasn't a disaster as my practice in the sim had helped again.

No comments: